We proudly formulate and manufacture ALL our products at our own facility in Guelph, Ontario, Canada!
Suncoat first entered the beauty market in 2002 when our founder and chemist Yingchun Liu, Ying for short, whose background includes both polymer chemistry and organic chemistry, found herself in a predicament: her seven year-old daughter wanted to experiment with nail polish. Yet Ying felt the bevy of hazardous chemicals in nail polish, which includes formaldehyde, toluene and acetates, posed too great a risk to her health. So taking to task her expertise in chemistry as well as her artistic eye for creativity, Ying created a revolutionary new formula of water-based, non-toxic nail polish, designed to provide the same quality and finish as the conventional stuff, but without any unsafe chemicals.
Suncoat is dawning a revolution for all things nails, giving the world a natural, wholesome way to wear the colours they love with a collection of water-based nail polish bursting with lots of attitude and none of the bad stuff. No formaldehyde, toluene, acetates, phthalate or alcohol – just bold, brazen colour and happy conscious.
Made from equal parts nature’s finest, innovative science and a dash of mother’s love, Suncoat was founded by polymer and organic chemist Yingchun Liu–Ying for short—when her daughters wanted to paint their nails up pretty. Put off by all the poison in the typical bottle of nail polish, Ying took her scientific smarts to task and developed the first ever non-toxic, natural formula that’s just as effective and quick drying as the smelly stuff, but great for nails, the world and the environment.
Ying holds a BSc degree in polymer chemistry and MSc degree in organic chemistry. Ying was also a Ph.D candidate at University of Waterloo, Canada, in organic/biopolymer chemistry during 1993-1995. Before starting Suncoat, Ying worked as a Formulation Chemist, Senior Coatings Chemist and Technical Director for industrial coatings and polymer resins manufacturers in Canada for many years.
Suncoat is the pioneer in non-toxic nail polish, blazing the trail of natural beauty, fusing nature with technology to create innovative products founded on the balance of vegan, mineral-based ingredients and water, one of the principal components of our bodies. By putting nature back into nail polish, we’re motivating people to do the same in other aspects of their lives, thus inspiring a little more harmony back into the world.
- Suncoat long lasting nail polish: Alive Award of Excellence, Silver, 2004, 2005, Alive magazine
- Suncoat Plant-Based Nail Polish Remover Gel: One Minute Miracle Beauty Product, 2015, The Kit magazine
- Suncoatgirl nail polish for children : Green Parents’ magazine award – Best Natural Nail Polish 2011
- Suncoat Natural Hair Style Spray : Green Parent magazine award – Best Natural Hair Styling Product 2012
- Suncoat Natural Hair Style Spray : Natural Health magazine Beauty Award – Commended – Best Natural Hair Styling Product 2012
- Suncoat long lasting water based polish : Natural Health magazine Beauty Awards – Commended – Best Natural Nail Polish 2010
- Suncoat Natural Nail Polish Remover Gel : Pure Beauty award, Silver, Best Nail Product 2012
- Suncoat Natural Liquid Eyeliner: Best of Natural Beauty award, 2011, Better Nutrition magazine
- Suncoatgirl Party Palette Mini Nail Kit: Family Choice Award, 2017
- Suncoatgirl Water-based Nail Polish: National Parenting Center Seal of Approval Non 2017
Suncoat is a proud corporate sponsor of
The Sick Kids Miracle Foundation,
Toronto Sick Kids Hospital.
National Research Council of Canada: We would like to take this opportunity to thank National Research Council of Canada for their faith and financial support in our water-based nail polish project.