Suncoat first entered the beauty market in 2002 when our founder and chemist Yingchun Liu, Ying for short, whose background includes both polymer chemistry and organic chemistry, found herself in a predicament: her seven year-old daughter wanted to experiment with nail polish. Yet Ying felt the bevy of hazardous chemicals in nail polish, which includes formaldehyde, toluene and acetates, posed too great a risk to her health. So taking to task her expertise in chemistry as well as her artistic eye for creativity, Ying created a revolutionary new formula of water-based, non-toxic nail polish, designed to provide the same quality and finish as the conventional stuff, but without any unsafe chemicals.
On a roll, Ying certainly didn’t stop with nail polishes, expanding Suncoat to include a collection of award-winning formulations for face, eye, lips and even hair, all born from the ideal combination of technology and efficacious natural ingredients. The model forms the heart of the Suncoat brand, to operate with a firm commitment to producing innovative, high-quality products from the best ingredients nature has to offer while maintaining the highest environmental integrity.
Ying holds a BSc degree in polymer chemistry from Nanjing University, Nanjing, China, and MSc degree in organic chemistry from The University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada. Ying was also a Ph.D candidate at University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada, in organic/biopolymer chemistry during 1993-1995. Before starting Suncoat in 2002, Ying worked in Canada for many years as a Formulation Chemist, Senior Coatings Chemist and Technical Director for industrial coatings and polymer resins manufacturers.
Suncoat is the pioneer in non-toxic nail polish, blazing the trail of natural beauty, fusing nature with technology to create innovative products founded on the balance of vegan, mineral-based ingredients and water, one of the principal components of our bodies. By putting nature back into nail polish, we’re motivating people to do the same in other aspects of their lives, thus inspiring a little more harmony back into the world.
We proudly formulate and manufacture ALL our products at our own facility in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.
- Suncoat long lasting nail polish: Alive Award of Excellence, Silver, 2004, 2005, Alive magazine
- Suncoat Plant-Based Nail Polish Remover Gel: One Minute Miracle Beauty Product, 2015, The Kit magazine
- Suncoatgirl nail polish for children : Green Parents’ magazine award – Best Natural Nail Polish 2011
- Suncoat Natural Hair Style Spray : Green Parent magazine award – Best Natural Hair Styling Product 2012
- Suncoat Natural Hair Style Spray : Natural Health magazine Beauty Award – Commended – Best Natural Hair Styling Product 2012
- Suncoat long lasting water based polish : Natural Health magazine Beauty Awards – Commended – Best Natural Nail Polish 2010
- Suncoat Natural Nail Polish Remover Gel : Pure Beauty award, Silver, Best Nail Product 2012
- Suncoat Natural Liquid Eyeliner: Best of Natural Beauty award, 2011, Better Nutrition magazine
National Research Council of Canada: We would like to take this opportunity to thank National Research Council of Canada for their faith and financial support in our water-based nail polish project.